06 January 2015

Work in Progress - Water and Rocks Day 6, 30 paintings in 30 days


Work in Progress
Stream in Japan (working title)
24x30cm

I am posting a work in progress which I started yesterday and didn't manage to finish. I opened a new tube of titanium white from a different manufacturer. The oil in the paint was linseed oil and it was very oily. The smell was overpowering and I started to feel nauseous and a little breathy. Along with many artists, I'm not keen on turpentine and even odorless spirits so don't use these, but it is the first time linseed oil has had this effect. Does anyone else have a problem with linseed oil? I've just received my supplies delivery and I have a new tube of Winsor and Newton titanium white my usual paint, so I will be able to finish it today.

Anyway, back to the painting. This is a stream I came across in Japan as I was walking back to our apartment in Tokyo. It wasn't in a formal garden and I liked the way it was less manicured than the traditional gardens. Still needs a lot of work, and I've given it a larger support to do it justice. It is quite a complicated scene and I can already see that I need to simplyfy more.

1 comment:

  1. Love the colors. Saw another of your Japanese gardens and liked that it didn't convey the stiltedness that it might have.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.