27 September 2014

Suit Home Handy Man - Day 27, 30 day challenge


'Suit Home Handyman'
Abandoned building Provence
Palette knife painting
Oil on 40x50x4cm box canvas (16"x20")
Available 95€, international shipping included.

There are many abandoned buildings amongst the lavender fields. What are their stories? What were they for? dwellings? stock? storage? Why does no-one care? Why are they still standing? Too many questions and no answers.

About this painting
I have lots of photos of abandoned buildings of one sort or another because I think they are interesting, but have never used them in a painting. I cropped the photo but as I started painting, realised I had not cropped it close enough so I had to increase the size of the building. I still have to fight my tendency to put in too much detail, the painting was about the building so I concentrated on that.

Some close-ups showing the layers of paint


And how it would look in a floating frame.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Marion. Love the colors and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you could do an art series on the abandoned buildings of France. So many of these medieval building stones are used in a reconstruction. I don't think the French think these buildings are "finished". I would love to paint England and France with you. Only one thing stops me now: I am so done with long haul overseas flights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marion,
    Abandoned buildings can be so sad - but you have honored this one with your attention to its beauty. Lovely!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.