25 September 2014

Misty Morning Curbar Edge - Day 25, 30 day challenge

Misty Morning Curbar Edge
palette knife painting
18x24cm oil on MDF canvas panel
NFS work in progress

Curbar edge is one of my favourite places to go walking. It is in the Peak District in the heart of England. On this day it was very misty and the rocks were dark and broody against the sky. The heather was blooming giving the moors a lovely pink/purple glow despite the gloom.

About this painting
This is painted from a photograph taken a few years ago. I tried to get the misty look and show the strength in the granite rocks. I don't feel I suceeded very well. The foreground, rocks and hills take up almost equal spaces on the canvas (maybe I should have done more planning), also the green background and foreground are competing.

Using Photoshop I manipulated the photo trying to push the hills more into the background and increase the prominence of the rock. This is what I came up with.
In fact, I think I shall try to emphasise the rocks even more. I'd be interested in your ideas.


6 comments:

  1. Yes, yes. You got the atmospheric look. Are you back in England now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. No, I'm in France. This is from an old photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the original (non-Photoshopped) version best - the colors seem brighter and capture more attention. It's a lovely painting!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. It is a painting that could be painted again and again, making it more about the sky, or more about the heather or more about the rocks, and each would be exquisite!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.