26 September 2014

Autumn Fire oil painting - Day 26, 30 day challenge


Autumn Fire
Palette knife painting
40x50cm on box canvas 4cm wide
Sides painted black for hanging unframed.
Contact me about this or any other painting at
artbymarion (at) orange.fr

This is an autumn scene from the Harz mountains in Germany. The days can be bitter cold in October so we took advantage of the sunshine and went for a walk in the Harz mountains to be greeted by these wonderful birches showing off.

About this painting
This painting has had a make over. I first painted it at the same time I painted . I liked it but there was something that kept niggling at me so I put it to the side and never published it. Yesterday it hit me - there was not enough 'breathing' space. The original photo showed a mass of foliage and, you've guessed it, that is what I painted. It also had the same high octane colour everywhere.

I let in some air and toned down the colours around the edges and created more of a focal area. It may still need some work, (the area top left is a bit too uniform) so I will leave it for a couple of days before posting it for sale.

Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the original version.

Some close-ups


4 comments:

  1. Well Marion, today you may have solved a aspen painting problem for me. You are brilliant and this painting is indeed beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Carol and I'm glad I could help you out.

      Delete
  2. I love the combo of the violet and cadmium at the top right. It's a beautiful painting. If I was to be super picky (which I can be :() I would say add a little more of that violet lower next to the dark trunk over the light sage bit. Then it would be perfect in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sea. I love super picky! and appreciate your insight. I will look at it again and contemplate.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.