09 July 2014

Did van Gogh live here? Yellow House Arles oil painting

Yellow House Arles
Palette knife painting
Oil painting on box canvas
15x20 cm (6x8inch) 1.5cm deep
Available on Daily Paintworks

Yes there really are yellow houses in Arles,  and no, van Gogh did not live here - the yellow house of van Gogh fame no longer exists.

About this painting
I took this picture a couple of years ago and actually started this little painting then. I came across it a few days ago and finished it off. The blue shutters, so typical of Provence, were irresistible. Using the palette knife allowed me to build up layers of colour.

Some close-ups of the palette knife work

2 comments:

  1. Your painting is lovely. I am actually reading right now: "The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Provence" by Martin Gayford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a coincidence LOL. Van Gogh and Gaugin just did not hit it off.

    Thanks for you comment on my painting.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.