09 February 2013

Snow scene - limited palette study 1

Snow scene Limited Palette Study 1
4"x6" Pastel 
on Peach coloured card treated with Colorfix Primer
 I have been reading a lot just lately about using a limited palette when painting and how it brings colour harmony to a painting. To work my way through this concept I have decided to paint several studies in pastel using only three colours plus white. Yes, you heard right. As you know I love colour so this is going to be especially hard for me, but I have made it slightly easier by  choosing snow scenes which are, in the most part, monochrome.
For this painting (and the next three), I coated a piece of peach coloured card with colourless Colorfix primer. This gives the card a 'tooth' that grips onto the pastel. I chose a burgundy, mid-dark blue and cadmium yellow plus a white that had a very pale blue shade.
I found I was having fun, which surprised me. The only snag was, that because I limited myself to only the three pastels, I had to work into the pastel a lot to get the different shades. Even so, I like the way this turned out, and I think this was successful. I gradually post the other studies over the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.