29 August 2012

Poppy Meadows Provence #2 - knife painting

Poppy Meadows Provence #2
15x20cm oil on boxed canvas
Can be hung without a frame.
The poppy field in the Haut Alpes are a lovely sight in spring and early summer. This was a nice change from the lavender fields. I used a palette knife and oil paint with a small amount of liquin mixed in to aid the drying. The liquin also gave the paint a nice consistency suitable for the palette knives. Getting a sense of distance is the hardest part, with the mountains just popping up in the background.

2 comments:

  1. Great painting! I've done a few Provence paintings recently from past trips. I really like the feel of this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark for your comment. I think I am addicted to doing these small paintings. I really enjoy doing them.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.